Friday 21 November 2008

Country Boy


The song lyrics I am publishing have lain in a drawer unread for 35 years and reading them now they do seem dated. When you read something that you wrote that long ago you become a third party to yourself. Anyway, here goes




Walking in the city down a busy street
My stomach wondering when I'm going to eat
I haven't had a shave, I've got dirty clothes
The plackard man says I should "Eat at Joes"
I've got nothing to lose if I give it a try
Tomorrow he'll be telling me "The End is Nigh"


Chorus
Country Boy-it's lonely in the city
Country Boy-I don't need your pity
It seems like a lifetime since I came to seek
My fortune in the city....God, it was only last week!



I came across some guys from a downtown sect
Who said "go away", well, words to that effect
It wasn't me who threw the empty bottle of wine
I tried to tell the cop from Precinct 49
You'll be taken from this place the judgeman said
And hung by the neck until you're dead



Chorus



The folks back home will be talking now
About the boy who wandered from the plough
To my father in the bar, saying "Now there Tam"
While my mother cries into her homemade jam
The footsteps in the yard are such hollow sounds
To this country boy who wandered way out of bounds

Jon Bratton copyright 1973

You have the tunes, I supply you with the words. Only when the completed song is published and earns royalties, or any other monetary return, will appropriate royalties, per the industry standard, become payable to me, the copyright owner Jon Bratton


No comments: